What to do and see in Bergen?
In the period 25. May to 8. June, Bergen is "boiling" with cultural activities! In this period two large festivals take place:
"Festspillene" with more than 300 events (classical music, exhibitions, theatre, dance etc) and
"NATTJAZZ" (Night Jazz) with appr. 60 concerts.
They both present top international musicians and artists.
Also, there are exhibitions in the city museums and galleries.
What to do if I have two hours to spend?
Most of the museums are situated within ten minutes′ walk from any of the hotels and also the venue. Recommendations:
- KODE: The Astrup exhibition is heartly recommended
- The Hanseatic Museum: with the history of the Hanseatic community in Bergen
- Bymuseet with the history of Bergen
- The Leprosy Museum is in our opinion a pearl of a museum, very exciting and unlike anything else.
You will have time for a trip to the Fløyen mountain by the funicular, which is awesome on a clear day, you can see all the way out to the North sea.
A charming "mini cruise" (4 minutes) with the miniature ferry "BEFFEN" across the harbour is also to be recommended if you want "the feeling of Bergen".
Last but not least, just a walk along the Bryggen, Nordnes and around the city centre is an affordable way to enjoy the city and feel the atmosphere. Treat yourself with a coffee and "skillingsbolle" from the bakery or buy a snack at the fish market and just look at the people walking by.
What to do if you have a day?
There are several daytrips to recommend and we will present a few here:
- Norway in a nutshell, which gives you just what the name indicates: A very spectacular and wonderful tour.
- A trip to Edvard Grieg’s home Troldhaugen, where you can also listen to a concert in the hall. His humble, but beautiful house is truly worth a visit.
- And the famous fiddler Ole Bull’s home "Lysøen" reachable by boat from the city will give you a day to remember.
- A boat trip (fast ferry) to the Hardangerfjord and Rosendal close to the Folgefonna glacier
This is not in any way the complete list, if you want to find more options: Visit Bergen
If you plan to travel around in Norway while you are here: Visit Norway
Hope you will have a stay to rememeber.